Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thing 12-part 1

After reading most of the comments about commenting--some were blocked on my current computer here at school--I feel the two most important to keep in mind were making the comments relevant and teaching students how to comment. I realized that phrases such as "I agree", or "great job" were not comments that were appreciated by most so I need to comment with more depth. I also really agreed with teaching students how to comment before allowing them to blog and reminding them that words can hurt and that they must be careful when posting comments. This is most recently evident by the Eagles' Read blog that is now down due to hurtful student comments.

3 comments:

DDtech said...

I too feel your frustration of blocked sites that are necessary for our "education." Comments with depth are a bit of a stretch right now since we are newbies and struggling to learn how to use all the cool new tools rather than evaluating or adding to what others are saying. Hopefully I will begin to feel the flow of thoughts...quickly.

Unknown said...

Glad I'm not the only one running into problems with blocked sites. You're insights are encouraging me to keep going!

VWB said...

you do have to remember that this was structured for home...where things should not be blocked. If you are playing in district, the blocking is to be expected.

if you are being blocked at home:

1. Do you have VPN turned on? if yes, turn it off...it is exactly like being "in district"

2. if you are not using VPN, and are getting a blocked message, do you have an aggressive personal firewall at your house?

3. if you are not using VPN and have normal security levels, please send the blocked site info to the Kickball Captains and we will see what the problem is!