Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thing 23

What a joyous morning that I am blogging on Thing 23! I have enjoyed this online class. Many of the new technologies I had heard about but didn't know what they were. So, it all seems much less mysterious now. My favorite new "toys" are:
  • del.ici.us--which is already on my home computer and will be on my school computer as soon as I get back there. I also have access to my friend's bookmarks, which will be very helpful as we are planning lessons this school year.
  • flickr--especially the big huge lab and creative commons--already have my head swirling with ideas on how to use them in lessons this upcoming year.
  • library thing--will use more as a personal site, rather than a school site, but it will help me keep up with my favorite authors and expand to new authors.
  • I am toying with creating a library blog, but I do have some concerns with the possible contents of the comments so I am still undecided.

As a librarian, I feel it is so important to keep up with the latest technologies and to at least be familiar with what some of the web 2.o tools are even I may never master some of them. This program successfully helped to introduce me to many of these tools.

This program showed me that learning new technologies can actually be fun! I unfortunately usually go into a technology learning experience with a negative attitude, but this was a very non-threatening way to dabble with all types of tools, some of which I will use frequently.

I took the class with a friend so if one of us got stuck, the other usually could help. However, it would be helpful to have a "help" link with perhaps a dedicated email address to deal with concerns or questions we might have as we are working through these 23 things. It sure would have helped me as I was working with Rollyo and never could get it to work right!

I would most definitely be interested in taking another class in this format in the future,. My new knowledge greatly outweighs any frustrations encountered along the way!

Eye-opening, mind-expanding

1 comment:

VWB said...

glad your adventure was eye-opening and mind-expanding! ;-)

your concern about comments for your school blog...when you set up the blog you can set the comments to be previewed by you before publishing and that way you can control what shows...you can set up parameters with the studnets about how they comment and if that is not followed then their comments don't show...the kids will want to see "themselves" so I bet they will do it properly!

hope you will try it...and will let all of us know how it goes by writing in your blog!